Bakhmut Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery has been demolished and rebuilt since the 1960`s. Some contemporary gravestones are present and located within the orthodox gravestones. According to locals, Jewish people have been buried among the orthodox.
“The cemetery was founded in the late 19th century. The Jewish graves were destroyed in the 1960s, and the land is now part of the municipal cemetery.
Jews likely began to settle in Bakhmut (Ukr., Rus. Бахмут, in 1924–2016 Artemivsk, Ukr. Артемівськ, Rus. Артёмовск) in the early 19th century. Bakhmut had a Jewish population of 3,259 in 1897 (17% of the total). In the late 19th century, Bakhmut had a synagogue, a prayer house, a beit midrash, 3 Jewish schools, a Talmud Torah. Jews were attacked in a pogrom in 1905. A Jewish elementary school was established by the Soviet authorities in 1920. There were 5,299 Jews in the city in 1939 (about 9% of the total population).
Three quarters of the city’s Jews were able to evacuate before the German army arrived in October 1941. The approximately 1,200 Jews who remained were confined in a ghetto in November 1941 and murdered in a deserted alabaster quarry in February 1942. The Jewish community was re-established after the war and Jewish community life was revived in the 1980–90s. According to the 2001 census, the city had a Jewish population of 224.