Babtai Jewish Cemetery
Given the earliest tombstone is dated 1874, it can be inferred the cemetery was founded no later than the latter half of the 19th century. It was most likely demolished during WWII.
Jewish merchants first settled in Babtai (Yid. Babet; Bobt) in the 19th century to develop lumber and agricultural exports to Prussia. The Jewish community numbered 125 in 1897, that was 19,1% of the total, 900 in 1913, or 75%, and had fallen to only 152 in 1923, or 20%. During WWI, most of the Jews fled to other regions. After WWI and with a railway line nearby, Jewish economic prosperity declined and many moved to the USA. In 1931, Jews owned 2 wool workshops, a sewing machine shop, and a sewing workshop (an atelier). By WWII about 40 Jews remained in Babtai. The Germans entered the settlement in June 1941. On August 28, 1941, Lithuanian nationalists staged a pogrom, killing 83 Jews from the region. They were buried in pits outside Babtai. There is no information about Jews here after the war.