Aranyosapáti Jewish Cemetery in Kopócsapáti
There are two Jewish cemeteries in today’s Aranyosapáti. This cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of the village of Kopócsapáti (now part of Aranyosapáti). It appears on the cadastral maps from 1870 and therefore existed as early as that date. However, the earliest preserved tombstone in the cemetery dates to 1937, while the newest dates to 1943.
Aranyosapáti is a settlement in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county which was formed in 1950 through the merger of the villages of Révaranyos and Kopócsapáti. According to census data, 76 Jews lived in Kopócsapáti 1841. The Jewish community reached its peak in 1880 when it numbered 95 individuals. Following this, the number of Jews in the village decreased. 79 Jews lived in the settlement in 1910, 67 in 1920, and 72 in 1930. In 1941, there were only 58 Jews in Kopócsapáti. However, according to the Yad Vashem database, 79 Jews from Kopócsapáti were murdered during Holocaust.