Apagy New Jewish Cemetery
The newer Jewish cemetery in Apagy was not marked on any 19th century cadastral maps, suggesting the cemetery was established later. The oldest of the remaining four gravestones in the cemetery dates to 1936, while the latest dates to 1940.
The first statistical data in 1828 recorded 32 Jews as living in the village, and the number remained the same until 1840. After the construction of the Nyíregyháza—Vásárosnamény railway in 1904, Apagy became a local commercial hub. Subsequently, the Jewish population grew, and, at its peak, numbered 160 individuals, constituting almost 13% of the total population. Following this, the Jewish population in Apagy began to decrease and, in 1941, there were merely 105 Jews in Apagy. By 1944, there were 92 Jews, all of whom were deported to Auschwitz. There are no traces of a Jewish presence in Apagy after 1945.