Antaliepte Jewish Cemetery
Given the oldest preserved tombstone is dated 1900, it can be inferred the cemetery was already in use by the early 20th century.
The Jewish population of Antaliepte (Yid. Antalapt) numbered 474, which was three quarters of the total population, in 1897. Before WWI, Jews owned 10 shops and the main source of livelihood was the great monastery nearby, the Jews who served the monastery’s inhabitants were grocers, millers, craftsmen, who saw to the repairs and maintenance, as well as other artisans. After WWI Many Jews emigrated to countries such as; South Africa, the US, South America and Palestine. Jews owned a mill in Antaliepte before and after the war. According to the census of 1931, Jews in Antaliepte owned a cloth shop and a heating accessories shop. A few Jews worked in agriculture and one was the owner of the only flour mill in the town. At that time there were in the town 15 artisans: 5 butchers, 4 blacksmiths, 2 carpenters, 2 tailors and 1 shoemaker. In 1939 there were 5 telephones in the town, although none of them belonged to Jews. The Germans entered the town on June 26, 1941. The persecution followed from both the Nazi and the locals. Skilled Jews were put to forced labor. On August 26, 1941, all the Jews were brought to the Paziemiai forest and murdered. There is no information about Jews in Antaliepte after WWII.