Annopol Old Jewish Cemetery
Annopol was founded in the village of Rachów, which it was called until the 18th century, though it already had begun to develop before 1740. While Annopol was founded as a private town, the exact details of the recorded foundation privilege are unknown. The synagogue complex was likely built in the mid-18th century and located about 200 metres northwest of the town square. In 1765, there were 173 Jews living in the village, and, in 1787, there were 106 Jews among 239 total inhabitants (44% of the population). By 1939 of the town’s 1714 inhabitants, Jews accounted for 1251 – about 73% of the total population. During World War II, the Germans destroyed the Jewish community buildings. In 1942, during the liquidation of the Annopol Ghetto, some Jews were murdered near Annopol, and the rest were deported to Kraśnik, then to the death camp in Bełżec. A mass execution of Jews also took place in Annopol in 1943 to which a memorial is dedicated on Skały Street.
The first cemetery was established within the synagogue complex, likely in the mid-18th century, and located about 200 metres northwest of the market square. There are no details about its history nor its appearance. It was in use until around 1800 when the new cemetery was established. In the interwar period, it covered an area of about 0.4 hectares and was enclosed with a stone wall. The cemetery was totally destroyed during World War II and, after the war, fell into disrepair. In the 1970’s, town authorities liquidated the cemetery and built it over with a health centre and a kindergarten. No traces of the cemetery remain nor have any tombstones been found.