Andrzejewo Jewish Cemetery
Jewish settlement in Andrzejewo began in the 19th century. In 1880 there were 580 Jewish residents (48% of the total population), and by 1921 there were 277 Jews residents (28%). It is most likely that the majority of Andrzejewo’s Jews were killed in 1941 by the Nazis in Mianówek and Szumowo. The cemetery is located approximately 1.9 km northeast of the town centre in the fields, and approximately 470 metres northwest of Warszawska Street (the road to Przeździecko-Grzymek).
The cemetery is rectangular in shape, with an acreage of 1.18 hectares (ha), in plot number 141602 2.0001.577. The cemetery’s foundation date is unknown, though it was most likely established in the mid-19th century at the same time as the regulation of religious facilities. The destruction of cemetery presumably began during World War II, a process which was aided by residents of neighbouring villages.
On October 9th, 1964, the Minister for Local Economy—in accordance with the decree of the Local Council Presidium of Andrzejewo—signed a by-law commencing the closure of the cemetery. The accompanying documentation stated the following: “Jewish cemetery in Andrzejewo, acreage 1,18 ha, defunct since 1939, fallen into disrepair and not maintained.” The “Cemetery Card” from 1988 states that: “The plan of the cemetery is unclear, [the arrangement of tombstones] deeply degraded, buildings: deeply degraded, tombstones and buildings: deeply degraded, area completely overgrown.” It also indicates that the area was further destroyed by its use as pasture for cattle and horses. At the time, there were no tombstones in the cemetery, and it was not fenced. The cemetery has fallen into disrepair. The area is partly wooded, littered, and contains some farming equipment. There are no memorials, and no information regarding ownership. The cemetery is part of the local and voivodeship register of historical landmarks. It is not part of the register of immovable monuments.