Ajak 1 Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Hungary
Region
Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg
District
Kisvárdai
Settlement
Ajak
Site address
The cemetery was located near to the flyover on the road Number 4 and was demolished during construction.
GPS coordinates
48.17951, 22.04377
Perimeter length
210 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence.
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site has been overbuilt, by houses.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

There were two Jewish cemeteries in Ajak. This cemetery existed as early as 1870, as it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The marks on the cadastral map might imply that the cemetery was subsequently closed. The cemetery was destroyed in 1970, due to road construction.

At the end of the 18th century, 55 Jewish inhabitants were living on the estates of the Vandernath Gerhardi and Telekiné.