Adutiskis Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Lithuania
Region
Vilnius
District
Švenčionys
Settlement
Adutiškis
Site address
The cemetery is located along the Vidžių street (road 4402). The cemetery is situated between house No.25 to the North and No.21 to the West. The Kamoja river runs behind the cemetery.
GPS coordinates
55.1595,26.5911
Perimeter length
250 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
Surrounded by concrete fence about 0,5 meter in height with metal gates.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is clear and well-kept. Drones are no allowed to fly as it is near the border with Belarus.
Number of existing gravestones
278
Date of oldest tombstone
1871
Date of newest tombstone
1936
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
There is a memorial dedicated to the old cemetery. As well as another noting its restoration in 1999 by Abraham Yochelman and the residents of the town.
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

Adutiskis (Haydutzishok in Yiddish) is a small town in eastern Lithuania 15 miles west of the district capital Svencionys.
Jews first settled in Adutiskis in the 19th century. In 1847 there were 579 Jews in the village. According to the census in the Russian Empire of 1897, the Jewish population grew to 1373 people that made up 61% of the total population, and before the Holocaust, there were around 100 Jewish families in the settlement.
The Jews of Adutiskis made their living from small trades, crafting, and various services. There were: shoemakers, tailors, butchers, bakers, carpenters, blacksmiths, tinsmiths, glaziers, painters, coachmen, and others in the town, as well as a few flax merchants.
The majority of the Jews belonged to the Chabad community, but there were also some followers of misnagdim in Adutiskis. There were four Jewish prayer houses: a Synagogue and three Beit Midrash. There was a high cultural standard amongst the young folk of the town. There was a wonderful library, a horn–orchestra, a drama club, 2 public schools, Yiddish and Hebrew, and several Zionist organizations.
The fate of Adutiskis Jews was the same as of all the Jews of Svencionys area. They were forced to move to the “Polygon”, former Soviet military barracks. On October 8, 1941, all the Jews from the barracks were taken in smaller groups and shot in the pit that had been dug outside. It is assumed that around 8000 Jews were executed in “Polygon”.
The Jewish cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century. About 300 gravestones or their fragments remain in the cemetery. The cemetery was still in use until the destruction of the Jewish community during the Holocaust. In 1994 the cemetery was registered into the Cultural Property Register of the Republic of Lithuania. At the entrance, there is a memorial stone with an inscription in Yiddish and Lithuanian: “The old Jewish cemetery. May their memory be eternal”. Next to it another plaque saying that the cemetery was restored in 1999 by Abraham Yochelman and the residents of the town.

View 3D model