Nahirne Jewish Cemetery
Nahirne (also known as Novogeorgievsk, Krylov, or Svetlovodsk which can refer to several neighbouring towns) was founded in 1615 and received the Magdeburg rights in 1616. In 1734 the region came under the rule of the Russian Empire, becoming a part of Novorossia, and from 1802 was a part to the Kherson Governorate (Khersonskaya gubernia). In 1860, the Jewish community numbered about 200 and maintained a synagogue in the town. By 1897, Jews accounted for 1,455 of the total population (11,594), and numbered 1,639 individuals by 1910. At this point, two synagogues and seven ḥeders (with 110 students) were operating.
In October 1905 a pogrom took place, though there were no casualties. After 1922, Nahirne became a part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In the 1920’s-1930’s, the Jewish population numbered around 1500 (with some fluctuation). A Jewish scout unit was founded in 1922 and a Yiddish school was established in 1926. In 1941, some Jews fled to the East, but many remained behind. Nahirne was occupied by the Germans on August 7, 1941. In January 1942, about 470 Jews were shot to death. In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Nahirne became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The Jewish cemetery has a few remaining headstones, is fenced, and overgrown.