Melitopil Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the late 19th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1892.
Melitopil (Ukr. Мелітополь, Rus. Мелитополь, Yid. מעליטאָפּאָל) had a Jewish population of 128 (3% of the total population) in 1838. A synagogue was in operation in 1857. In 1897, 6,563 Jews (42% of the total population) and 454 Karaites lived in Melitopil. A pogrom was staged in 1905, however the Jewish self-defence was successful in stopping the riot. By 1910 the community maintained 20 synagogues, 2 cemeteries, a Jewish hospital, 4 Jewish schools, a loan fund, and various charities. HeHalutz had a branch in 1916. In the Soviet period, Melitopil had a Jewish school and a Jewish theatre. An underground Lubavitch yeshiva operated between 1938–41. There were 6,040 Jews (8% of the total population) in Melitopil in 1939. Many of them were able to evacuate, though 1,800 remained. Most of them were murdered less than a week after the Germans arrived in October 1941. The Jewish community re-emerged after World War II. About 2,500 Jews (3% of the population population) lived in Melitopil in 1959. Jewish community life was revived in the 1990’s and, according to the 2001 census, there were 479 Jews in Melitopil.
It is not known when exactly the cemetery was founded. The earliest tombstone dates to 1892. The location of the second, older cemetery is unknown.