Lyakhivtsi Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish cemetery in Lyakhivtsi was established in the 19th century, although the oldest preserved gravestone dates only to 1908. The cemetery was used until WWII.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Lyakhivtsi in the late 18th century. In 1880, there were 102 Jews living in the town. In 1910, the Jewish population numbered 52, and by 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had decreased to 45. In 1930, the population numbered 34 individuals. Hungarians arrived in Lyakhivtsi in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 33 Jews living in Lyakhivtsi in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Lyakhivtsi were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.